Friday, August 08, 2008

Vetri- Not Worth the Hype!


It's been a big year for me. I fell in love, started cohabiting and got a haircut with bangs. Last night we decided to celebrate our first year together as an official couple. Two months ago, the bf made reservations at Philly renowned restaurant Vetri. Ever since I moved to Philly, I've been hearing great things about this place. I was expecting a super expensive, fabulous meal and overall dining experience. Well, the food was excellent....the service was pretty unimpressive.


I strongly feel that good service is a major part of the dining experience especially when you're eating at an outrageously expensive restaurant. Now there are probably 10 tables in this restaurant and there were definitely at least 10 servers. It didn't matter- we had no particular waiter and the sommelier not only took our wine order, but also our dinner order. (I was just glad someone did.) But let's start at the beginning-we were greeted by a very tall man who seemed annoyed that we were there. He asked us what we wanted to drink. I ordered a vodka cranberry and the BF said he needed a couple of minutes. Nobody ever came back to see if he was ready for a drink. We waited another 30 minutes for menus.


In fairness, the food was delicious. We started with an appetizer of Kobe steak that was cooked to rare perfection. I had a rich spinach gnocchi plate that literally melted in your mouth. The bf had a light white fish that was cooked with tomatoes smothered in olive oil- delicious. We had a chocolate souffle for dessert that was perfectly moist in the center. All very yummy.


And then we waited another 30 minutes for the check. While dinner was undeniably delicious, I've had better service at TGI Friday's. We're glad that we tried Vetri but I think for our second anniversary- we'll go the Steven Starr route.

No comments: